I was struck more by how the policy decision was delivered than by its content. The words “mandate” and “ban” may not have been used, but it sure landed that way. And, I couldn’t help but wonder… what’s going on behind the scenes and did this have to be an either/or choice?..Read More
Here are the benefits of regular strategic planning:
#1 Promotes Strategic Thought and Action (Proactive, Not Reactive)
- More systematic information gathering about internal/external environments
- Increases attention to organizational learning
- Clarifies future direction
- Establishes priorities for action decisions
#2 Improves Decision-Making
- Focuses attention on what’s important
- Helps make today’s decisions with tomorrow in mind
- Coordinates decisions across levels and functions
# 3 Enhances Flexibility and Adaptability
- To respond wisely to internal and external demands
- To deal effectively with rapidly changing environments
#4 Improves Performance
- Board, management and staff can better fulfill roles, meet responsibilities
- Teamwork and expertise will be strengthened
- Empowerment will abound!
Strategic planning can do all those things, but there is no guarantee that it will.
- Success will depend on how we tailor the process to your needs.
- The process works only if key decision-makers support it and use it with common sense.
- Participants will get out of strategic planning exactly what they put into it, like most things in life.